Friday, November 17, 2006

A momentous day

I don't like to tempt fate but, what the hell, this is shaping up like a famous day. The reason? I am taking my wife out for a meal.

Now we have been out for more meals than most of you have had hot dinners over the years but this one will be the first in months. We have done a few lunches but this is the first evening meal, I think, since Junior was born in March.

I don't know why but I've voted that we go to one of these fancy modern cuisine places which almost certainly neither of us will like. I always think they operate to a policy of "one ingredient too many". There are often too many flavours and the dishes are too complicated for their own good. Also, the chances of a grappa are slim.

Still, I intend to have a good bottle of wine, turn on the charm and remind my wife of why she married me. First, however, I need to remind myself...

5 comments:

a.c.t. said...

I always long for those fancy modern cuisine places you mention, but always end up disappointed. You're right about too many flavours. The menus are always full of beds of this, timballes of that, chiffonade of this, coulis of that...more like culo.
Buon Appetito!

martinobhoy said...

She married you because you have an intelligent, witty and good looking friend. ;o)

Have a good night pal.

Small Business USA said...

C'mon good friend, be nice to the new breed of chef. They grew up on processed this and industrial that, it is only natural that they take what they know and make some variation of the theme.

Spangly Princess said...

deliberately scuppering your chances of getting a good grappa? I'm disappointed in you!

but I hope you and your wife have a lovely dinner, enjoy!

ginkers said...

The meal was actually ok and there WAS grappa. However, sadly the place was absolutely deserted - confirming the fact that fancy cooking and small towns in Scotland do not mix. Still, it was a good night. I will report more later...