Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Francoli, my dear, I don't give a damn...


If there ever is a patron saint of grappa it should probably be San Martino. So how appropriate that those fine distillers Luigi Francoli should produce a brew dedicated to him. He may not strictly speaking be Italian but, with the level of acquavita now flowing in his veins, he could surely play for the Azzurri if Jack Charlton ever takes over as Commissario Tecnico.

This particular brew is not mentioned in my new "bible" but Francoli certainly is. With 600,000 bottles a year it is one of the biggest grappa producers in the land. Out of Ghemme in Piedmont it produces a number of grappe but this is the one which passed my lips recently.

With a deep colour - down to ageing in oak casks, I'm told - it is an eminently drinkable brew which is presumably especially for export since it fails to feature on their official website. Perfectly acceptable middle range drink with decent flavour and kick without being particularly impressive in either department. A good all-rounder and certainly not one to turn the nose up at - as if we ever did that.

Grappa diaries rating: 69 per cent.

5 comments:

martinobhoy said...

Interesting score for my grappa. I've always been more than happy with a 69.........


I'll get my coat.

ginkers said...

From what I heard, 88 would be a more appropriate number. Two fat ladies...

martinobhoy said...

And just what have you heard?

I will, of course, deny everything.

ginkers said...

My lips are sealed, which is more than we could say...

Oh, stop it! Enough innuendo for one day.

martinobhoy said...

I was talking about my score at golf in my first post. God only knows what depravity you are talking about?